Background to ‘Fatness’
It is very difficult to maintain proper body weight. These days almost every person, even the ones that exercise regularly, has problem with extra pounds. What is even more alarming is that more and more young children have problem with obesity and some are even born obese. For example, in India there are communities where 40% of people are overweight and statistics shows that soon half of the world’s population will have problem with excess weight.
Problems with being overweight
Being overweight causes many problems such as:
- Being overweight increases the chances of high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac problems, ulcers, digestive disorders, gout, thyroid problems, etc.;
- It causes physical and psychological stress;
- When you’re overweight, you consume more food than your body needs. A third of the world consumes 50% more food than they need, and over nutrition will soon pass half of the world’s population. If we eat as much as we need, we can solve the food and water shortage easily.
Why do we become overweight?
We all know that it is very easy to gain extra pounds and we usually notice that we have a problem when is too late. Some of the reasons why we gain extra pounds are:
- No physical activity. These days, people are mostly leading a sedentary lifestyle– everything we did in the past is now done by machines. We spend too many hours sitting at the computer, and we don’t go out like we did before. We never walk – we just drive or take a cab;
- Unhealthy lifestyle – sleeping late, unpredictable work hours, insomnia, etc.;
- Bad eating habits – we often consume fast food, and even the supposedly healthy food is not quite healthy.
- Flour, bread, bakes, pastries and fried food are some of the foods we consume every day.
- We also consume processed and packaged foods;
Are we overweight?
How can you know if you are overweight? Here are a few things that can help you in realizing if you are fat:
- Have your visibly gained weight recently? If so, you need to start making diet and lifestyle changes;
- Fat percentage and waist to hip ratio can tell you if you’re getting fat. There are established ranges that shouldn’t be passed. For women, the range is 25% – a 2-3% increase should be fine. However, if you were 22% before, and now you’re 25%, you need to be careful. Don’t check your BMI or lean body mass – it will confuse you;
- Do you fit in your clothes? This is one of the easiest indicators of becoming fat;
- Has anyone recently told you that you gained weight? If yes, consider doing some lifestyle changes;
- Are you eating more and getting frequent cravings? This is also a sign of “fatness”.
Fast weight loss diet plan
Once you become aware that you are overweight, you need to make a diet plan. You can try making it by yourself or you can find one on the internet. But you should follow these tips:
- Consume a little less food than you feel you need. Try to consume meals that are small enough so you could feel hungry every 3 hours;
- Do not drink water during and after meals;
- Choose a liquid diet with various soups and milk. 25-30% of your meals should be liquid, while the rest can be solid food;
- Don’t drink too much coffee, alcohol , soft drinks, tea , and canned juice;
- Don’t eat after 8 PM. But if you feel hungry drink a cup of milk or take a piece of fruit;
- For snacks, you can have lime juice, seasonal fruit, smoothies or salad. However, you shouldn’t eat snacks more than 4 times a day;
- Start and end your day with a glass of lukewarm water;
- Do not consume junk food (fried foods, hot-dog, canned food, sweets, processed foods pastries, pizza, as they are rich in chemicals and preservatives);
- Consume lightly cooked vegetarian food;
- Try to walk at least four times a day for 15 minutes, before meals.
We will suggest seven of the most effective cardio exercises, for every day in the week:
This exercise will help you burn more than a hundred calories in less than 10minutes. Moreover, it requires no equipment and it will also calm down your spirit and reduce stress, which is often a major cause of gaining weight. Therefore, you should kick, punch, and combine these two, against a bag, or the air.
- Jogging in Place
This cardio exercise is simple, but it is an incredible way to warm you up for a more intense exercise. You should simply jog in a stationary position.
- Squat Jumps
This plyometric exercise will accelerate the heart rate, it will effectively burn calories and will strengthen your legs. So, from a squat position, you should try to jump as high as possible, and land back into the initial squat position.
- Jump Rope
This is an amazing cardio exercise, as it will burn 220 calories in less than 20 minutes. Moreover, you can buy a jump rope for a cheap price and you can exercise wherever you want. You should just turn the rope with handles repeatedly while you are jumping over it.
You should squat to the floor, jump the feet to a plank position, and then jump back in and standing up. This exercise is a fantastic one, as it will burn more than 100 calories in 10 minutes.
- Jumping Jacks
You should jump the feet wide repeatedly while circling the arms overhead, and back again. This exercise requires no special skills or equipment, and it will help you burn around 100 calories in 10 minutes.
- Mountain Climbers
Start from a pushup position, and run the knees in and out. This will accelerate your heart rate, but it will also provide body strength as well as endurance in the core.